Monday, February 8, 2010

Raw Apple Cake

Raw Apple Cake
 
I have been gaining weight lately. I think there are multiple reasons, and probably eating too much sweets has contributed some of it. Finding a way to balance my current raging sweet tooth with things I should be eating more of, like fruits and vegetables, is my current challenge. I was strongly considering a short term dietary shift, but due to some setbacks, I have not implemented it yet. I will be blogging about what I am eating when I do that along with recipes. Anyway, this cake, along with the zucchini chocolate cake and the carrot cake, made up the triple layer cake I baked for my oldest son's first birthday. Frosted with whipped cream frosting, the cake was a huge success. Even when each of these cakes are served separately, they are a delicious healthy treat. But maybe just once a week, not every day? Yeah, I am looking for some new recipes for healthy, portion controlled treats. With millions of recipes out there, I am sure I will be able to tailor one or two to my personal tastes :)
 
 
Raw Apple Cake

4 cups of chopped fresh apples
2 cups of brown sugar
1/2 cup cooking oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
 
Mix all ingredients to moisten and place in a greased 9 inch by 13 inch pan or 2 round 9 inch cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour.

Ok, it seems really simple to make, and it really is. No need for frosting, and it makes a good breakfast or brunch cake. I think this is my mother's favorite recipe for cakes and she makes it not nearly often enough. It will have big chunks of apples unless you chop them really fine, but that is part of the charm of the cake. This recipe was altered from the Kitchen Magic cookbook, a cookbook about using your food storage every day. It has some other 'healthy' recipes I want to try later, after I figure out if there is some other reason I gained 10 lbs in 2 months.

1 comment: